Author Topic: Ottawa Senators Season Preview  (Read 456 times)

Offline dickiedunn

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Ottawa Senators Season Preview
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:22:22 PM »
STATE OF THE NATION
A year removed from an all out rebuild and a last place finish, Ottawa ended the 2012-13 campaign as the 10th best team in the league.

Management has the Sens headed in the right direction and were the team to beat in the Eastern Conference last year.

Dealing the first overall pick in the 2012 entry draft landed Ottawa two critical ingredients to their present and future success in Sens starting goaltender Braden Holtby and franchise goalie of the future Andrey Vasilevsky whom the team drafted with the 14th overall pick they received from Washington.

Other key players in the Sens success were Subban's Norris winning breakout season, Mike Del Zotto's emergence as a premier blueliner, Dennis Wideman's resurgence as a PP monster and Matt Read's consistent point production until his season ending injury.

The departure of Jason Garrison as Ottawa used it's only Amnesty buyout will be damped by the free agent signs of Chris Phillips and Anton Volchenkov to considerably less expensive deals.

PROSPECT ROUNDUP
Last year, Holtby stepped in to fill the goaltending void in Ottawa and management expects him to be on place for the foreseeable future or until Vasilevsky supplants him in a few years.

The Senators have a Grade A crop of prospects waiting for their big break and for a number of them, that could come as early as this season.

Here's a look at the five biggest prospects for the Sens:

Vasilevsky - Drafted by the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning could conceivably steal the starters job from Holtby but will likely remain in the Konrinental Hockey League for another year of seasoning.

Mark Scheifele was drafted by the NHL's Winnipeg Jets 7th overall in 2011 and appears to be ready to contribute as a top 6 winger this season if he can show that he can hold his own against bigger, stronger, faster NHL defensemen.

Jacob Trouba is yet another prospect from the NHL Jets system taken 9th overall in 2012. Trouba may need to gain some experience at the minor league level before earning a full-time job with the parent club.

Colten Teubert saw his career stall in 2012-13 but looks to compete for a bottom pair role. Failing that, Teubert could be better off with another team as he has shown his play both with and without the puck are both FNHL and NHL ready.

Vladislav Namestnikov is another highly regarded prospect currently in the Lightning's farm system. After dropping in the 2011 NHL entry due to the Russian factor, Namestnikov has demonstrated his commitment to reaching the parent club and is expected to be an exciting two-way winger when (and if) he arrives as he is considered too small to play his natural position of Center standing at 5'11".

2013-14 OUTLOOK
Ottawa looks to be a serious Stanley Cup contender with a good mix of veteran leadership and youthful talent.

Opponents should expects high scoring match-ups and possibly another blockbuster trade to go along with their recently completed deal that saw Patrick Sharp coming over in exchange for Mike Richards and Brian Campbell, which was on the heals of a deal with the Jets that netted Joe Pavelski.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline PsychoticPondGoons

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :BAL-NFL:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :NYY:
    • View Profile
Re: Ottawa Senators Season Preview
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
Nice going Dickie!
Hartnell must've helped your team out last year before you let him walk to free agency?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
PPG's Theme Song EC Lucky X - Welcome Spring2020
PPG's Chill Vibes Thrift Shop - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Live to brawl. - J.Yablonski
"I don't like to hurt people. Sometimes I just can't help it." - George Steinbrenner :NYY:

23-24 FNHL Champion TBD will win the  $530.00 PAYOUT!

Best Fantasy Hockey League (25$ returning team fee 2024-25):
FNHL TEAMS FOR SALE!
:Commish: *** :CAR-NHL: HURRICANES :CAR-NHL: *** :Commish:

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:24:21 PM »
STATE OF THE NATION
A year removed from an all out rebuild and a last place finish, Ottawa ended the 2012-13 campaign as the 10th best team in the league.

Management has the Sens headed in the right direction and were the team to beat in the Eastern Conference last year.

Dealing the first overall pick in the 2012 entry draft landed Ottawa two critical ingredients to their present and future success in Sens starting goaltender Braden Holtby and franchise goalie of the future Andrey Vasilevsky whom the team drafted with the 14th overall pick they received from Washington.

Other key players in the Sens success were Subban's Norris winning breakout season, Mike Del Zotto's emergence as a premier blueliner, Dennis Wideman's resurgence as a PP monster and Matt Read's consistent point production until his season ending injury.

The departure of Jason Garrison as Ottawa used it's only Amnesty buyout will be damped by the free agent signs of Chris Phillips and Anton Volchenkov to considerably less expensive deals.

PROSPECT ROUNDUP
Last year, Holtby stepped in to fill the goaltending void in Ottawa and management expects him to be on place for the foreseeable future or until Vasilevsky supplants him in a few years.

The Senators have a Grade A crop of prospects waiting for their big break and for a number of them, that could come as early as this season.

Here's a look at the five biggest prospects for the Sens:

Vasilevsky - Drafted by the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning could conceivably steal the starters job from Holtby but will likely remain in the Konrinental Hockey League for another year of seasoning.

Mark Scheifele was drafted by the NHL's Winnipeg Jets 7th overall in 2011 and appears to be ready to contribute as a top 6 winger this season if he can show that he can hold his own against bigger, stronger, faster NHL defensemen.

Jacob Trouba is yet another prospect from the NHL Jets system taken 9th overall in 2012. Trouba may need to gain some experience at the minor league level before earning a full-time job with the parent club.

Colten Teubert saw his career stall in 2012-13 but looks to compete for a bottom pair role. Failing that, Teubert could be better off with another team as he has shown his play both with and without the puck are both FNHL and NHL ready.

Vladislav Namestnikov is another highly regarded prospect currently in the Lightning's farm system. After dropping in the 2011 NHL entry due to the Russian factor, Namestnikov has demonstrated his commitment to reaching the parent club and is expected to be an exciting two-way winger when (and if) he arrives as he is considered too small to play his natural position of Center standing at 5'11".

2013-14 OUTLOOK
Ottawa looks to be a serious Stanley Cup contender with a good mix of veteran leadership and youthful talent.

Opponents should expects high scoring match-ups and possibly another blockbuster trade to go along with their recently completed deal that saw Patrick Sharp coming over in exchange for Mike Richards and Brian Campbell, which was on the heals of a deal with the Jets that netted Joe Pavelski.

:iatp:

nice work!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Florida Panthers ... link to team page

2023-24 FRANCHISE NHL PAYOUT TO CHAMPION ... :money: $530.00USD :money:
ONLY THE BEST OWNERS WANTED

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »
Someone's a closet journalist. LOL
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I don't like to hurt people. Sometimes I just can't help it." - George Steinbrenner :NYY:

FNHL TEAMS FOR SALE!

Offline Burkes Boys

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
:iatp: :rofl:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I require from my teams, proper levels of anger, belligerence and some good ol' fashion piss 'n' vinegar.

Offline jackdaniels

• All-Star
  • just hand me the bottle!
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :BostonCollege:
    • :NYRB:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 02:16:45 PM »
I'll post a preview later this week. Good reading.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:win: 2016-17 FRANCHISE NHL Champion :BOS-NHL:
:win: 2013-14 FRANCHISE NHL Champion :BOS-NHL:

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »
STATE OF THE NATION

2013-14 OUTLOOK

:iatp:

This is a great example of a good fantasy team rebuild!  :winner:
:OTT: Sens plugged all the holes on it's roster and went from last to 1st over 3 seasons.  :thumbsup:

The Anaheim Ducks :ANA: are on a similar path. Cloud looks like he started off in the league with no goalies and has built himself a killer team that's going to challenge for the CUP! :win:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

FNHL TEAMS FOR SALE!

Offline dickiedunn

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 02:49:55 PM »
Thank you, PPG!

That 10th place finish last year was somewhat disappointing but it was still a big stride forward for the Sens franchise. I hope Ottawa can reach the final four this season and really make a strong push for the FNHL Stanley Cup.

- Owner Dickie Dunn
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:32:38 PM »
that was a classic tear down / rebuild.

always fun to watch one of those rebuilding projects in a league.  :toast:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Florida Panthers ... link to team page

2023-24 FRANCHISE NHL PAYOUT TO CHAMPION ... :money: $530.00USD :money:
ONLY THE BEST OWNERS WANTED

* FNHL Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Daddy  u just got traded to rangers for box of baseballs
    April 30, 2024, 12:30:29 AM
  • Daddy: Unless you miss the famous PC +$200k bid :rofl:
    April 30, 2024, 12:31:22 AM
  • Daddy: At least im worth baseballs Brian. You wanna know which kind of balls you worth my friend?
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:14 AM
  • indiansnation: I got give daddy credit on that. It makes it so much easier. I spend hours at a time researching them and then another team tries to buy them
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:18 AM
  • indiansnation: Nope i was told wiffel balls only ones at any value i could get in return
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:57 AM
  • Daddy: Big ones Brian.
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:02 AM
  • Daddy: Big Wiffle Balls
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:17 AM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    April 30, 2024, 08:26:57 PM
  • Rhino7: You still in CCD?
    April 30, 2024, 09:21:41 PM
  • Braves155: No
    April 30, 2024, 10:44:49 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Hey Braves155:
    April 30, 2024, 10:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE has 44 teams declared. Great teams are available like Florida, Cal, Utah major college football programs are still available.
    Yesterday at 03:09:53 PM
  • Daddy: Sign up [link] to claim your favorite college program. Recruiting begins 6/1/24 @8PM EST
    Yesterday at 03:10:42 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE season update posts on profsl (individual posts) 2021=601 views >> 2022=690 views >> 2023=5000k views (insert eyes emoji)
    Yesterday at 05:00:29 PM
  • Daddy: Profsl aint TikTok. You post something here and it gets 5k views in a few months, thats major interest gents.
    Yesterday at 05:03:47 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for ay talks in any of the leagues im in
    Yesterday at 06:54:02 PM
  • Daddy: Yall be sneaking these fast baseball trades on us. :) Congratulations to both GMs.
    Yesterday at 07:57:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: tryna stay competitive
    Yesterday at 08:18:31 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, still TBD if trading my best player will pay off in the long run.
    Yesterday at 10:19:59 PM
  • Daddy: Two more trades dropped simultaneously.
    Yesterday at 11:54:44 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to all four GMs :toth:
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • dbreer23: I'm getting too old to keep up with all of these trades.
    Yesterday at 11:58:35 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah MLB is insane this year.
    Today at 12:04:09 AM
  • Daddy: You could always go back to drinking... We dont mind a few liquor induced gremlins on the SS ;)
    Today at 12:06:49 AM
  • dbreer23: I think I'm on the wagon permanently. Haven't touched a drop in months. Wasn't a conscious thing, just sort of happened.
    Today at 12:08:42 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations sir. I think. Life's too short for me. My days are numbered.
    Today at 12:11:44 AM
  • dbreer23: Death comes for us all in the end...
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: if anything saving the drinks for the weekend
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: saving the drinks for weekend
    Today at 12:13:08 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: got two games
    Today at 12:13:17 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: going to the AHL playoff game mikwake admirals vs texas stars sat and then UTexas baseball vs oklahoma st sunday
    Today at 12:13:57 AM
  • Daddy: Death can kiss my no no zone.
    Today at 12:14:37 AM
  • dbreer23: :rofl:
    Today at 12:15:14 AM
  • Daddy: I smoke, i drink, im supposed to stop but i caint, i howl at the moon and bury my bone places its hard to dig it out of.
    Today at 12:29:22 AM
  • Daddy: If not for fantasy sports... Hmmm. I think i would be a male dancer. :)
    Today at 12:30:52 AM
  • Daddy: Another new trade just ruined a clean board. Lol  congratulations to both GMs :toth: looks like i can keep my dance outfit in the attic.
    Today at 12:40:22 AM
  • Daddy: Damn... She's a Biggun
    Today at 12:40:57 AM
  • Yeagg: That's why we made the trade. That outfit can stay hidden forever
    Today at 12:43:17 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl: :rofl:
    Today at 12:46:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i can deff say this has been the most active week in MLB live in a long while
    Today at 12:47:31 AM
  • Daddy: Season is a month old. Its been a busy month. Ask the professor.
    Today at 12:51:15 AM
  • Daddy: Thats the whole point. 30 teams 30 dudes running them. Everyday lurking & looking to build.
    Today at 12:52:50 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE we havent forgotten about you. (NCAA is just massive) We have brought in some heavy hitters in every sport. The competition and fun is what we are after. The NHL Draft is approaching.
    Today at 12:27:48 PM
  • Daddy: We will be drafting the same guys from the same draft order as the actual NHL Draft.
    Today at 12:28:18 PM
  • Daddy: Did i mention you inherited the actual teams? AHL rosters too :thumbsup:
    Today at 12:29:06 PM
  • snugerud: You lost me at 30 dudes lurking.  creeped me out.
    Today at 01:45:01 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah... Its like Pet Cemetery. (Insert ghastly music theme)
    Today at 01:55:49 PM
  • Daddy: Im like Pat McAfee without the money, success, likability or platform. Just out here loving sports and competition.
    Today at 02:04:02 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE 2024 Bowl Schedule [link]
    Today at 03:46:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for any trade talks the rest of the day
    Today at 05:37:03 PM