Author Topic: Free Agency Begins January 17th, 12pm CST  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Orange Country

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 1281
    • :TEN:
    • :MEM:
    • :NAS:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
Re: Free Agency Begins January 17th, 12pm CST
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »
This new FA system is extremely advantageous to those that get on the site more than others. The current system is not broken so why try to fix it?

I can understand tweaking the current one for many reasons. However, if the league votes to change it to the one being proposed here, there will be a lot more griping and complaining not to mention some people might leave the league over it if they lose a player because they could not get on in time to bid on the player again.

48 hours is MUCH BETTER for those of us that have busy lives and only giving 24 hours never works in dynasty leagues. I have seen it time and time again in my experience.

This sounds like 3-4 people want this kind of system and it's almost being forced upon the league regardless whether it's just being discussed.

Also, it's a lot more to remember with how deep this league is already. I think we should just close this discussion up and look at avenues to tweak the current system. Some variation of this system has worked in other leagues and there's no reason why it cannot work here either.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 08:46:24 PM »
Earliest closing bids:

Yesterday at 01:44:37 AM
by haseloff
will close Saturday

Today at 12:18:24 AM
by haseloff
will close Sunday

I am currently high bid on Soto, Pacheco, Choi and Pena.  I would also like to be in on Abrea, Votto, Morneau and Callaspo.  I will not be bidding on them (thus extending the 48hr window) until Saturday and Sunday. 

Actually your bid for Soto hits 48 hours at 11:44pm CST tonight so you can bid on another player tonight if you want.  In addition, your Choi bid
was outbid at 5:16pm CST today which cleared you to bid on another player.

Everyone is playing the same rules with the same limitations. 

A question on how the 2-bid system would work:
I want in on Player A so I place a bid within the first 24 hours.  If I really want him, why would I place my second and final bid unless I login at the 47hr 59min mark.  I'd risk getting outbid.  If only myself and 3 others made the inital 24hour bid, I'd just wait during the second 24hour window until the other 3 placed bids and bid 500k more (or 5m, etc).

If someone bids 5 years $75m and you want to wait until the last second to bid 5 years $77m... so what?  If you're determined to outbid someone no matter the cost then what does it matter if it's on a time limit? 

This type of system pushes people to place their best bids within 48 hours instead of mindless back and forth bidding for days on end.   
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »
This would heavily favor the moderators who get to post "FA open for SP" then immediately post 4 SP opening bids.  If the opening bidder gets 'final snipe ability', that prevents people who are willing to pay more from getting the player (thus the player doesn't get the best deal).

I'm the only moderator.   If free agency opens at a particular date and time, how does that favor me? 

If you're willing to pay more then post your best bid.  That's the point.  You have 48 hours to post your best offer.  If you're the initial bidder and want to wait until the last second to top the best offer then that's your choice and it's the advantage the opening bidder will have.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 08:54:57 PM »
This new FA system is extremely advantageous to those that get on the site more than others. The current system is not broken so why try to fix it?

I can understand tweaking the current one for many reasons. However, if the league votes to change it to the one being proposed here, there will be a lot more griping and complaining not to mention some people might leave the league over it if they lose a player because they could not get on in time to bid on the player again.

48 hours is MUCH BETTER for those of us that have busy lives and only giving 24 hours never works in dynasty leagues. I have seen it time and time again in my experience.

This sounds like 3-4 people want this kind of system and it's almost being forced upon the league regardless whether it's just being discussed.

Also, it's a lot more to remember with how deep this league is already. I think we should just close this discussion up and look at avenues to tweak the current system. Some variation of this system has worked in other leagues and there's no reason why it cannot work here either.

We can change it to 72 hours, that's fine.  We're discussing it all right now.  Anyone that has ideas should bring them forward.

As much as some may believe this current system works, a lot of people think it's mindless and dumb.  Certainly we can do better.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Orange Country

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 1281
    • :TEN:
    • :MEM:
    • :NAS:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 09:24:10 PM »
How is the current system dumb and mindless?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 09:51:23 PM »
How is the current system dumb and mindless?

I thought that was pretty self-explanatory.  haha
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

haseloff

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 10:06:44 PM »
If someone bids 5 years $75m and you want to wait until the last second to bid 5 years $77m... so what?  If you're determined to outbid someone no matter the cost then what does it matter if it's on a time limit? 

So determination and ability to get online at a certain time wins out over highest bidder?  If this was a redraft league, sure.  If I miss out on a player for the next 5 years because someone sniped me at the 47th hour, that doesn't seem to be the perfect system we're looking for.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »
So determination and ability to get online at a certain time wins out over highest bidder?  If this was a redraft league, sure.  If I miss out on a player for the next 5 years because someone sniped me at the 47th hour, that doesn't seem to be the perfect system we're looking for.

Your ability to post your best bid in a 72 hour period "wins out".  You can't be "sniped" if you're posting your best and final offer.  Again, that's the point. 

I'm all ears for your perfect system in place of the one we're contemplating. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:20:25 PM by chrisetc21 »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

haseloff

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »
Actually your bid for Soto hits 48 hours at 11:44pm CST tonight so you can bid on another player tonight if you want.  In addition, your Choi bid
was outbid at 5:16pm CST today which cleared you to bid on another player.

So when I was outbid for Choi, I should've used that to bid on another guy I wanted.   Once another leading bid clears (let's say, tomorrow) I use that on Choi again creating another 48 hour window pushing the problem further out?

If we could bid on as many as we wanted, we wouldn't have so many 40hour rebids starting the process over.  I understand what you are saying regarding a rich team like :HOU: starting so many SP player bidding wars that managers won't know exactly how much money they have in outstanding leading bids but that is the only problem (thus why I have a spreadsheet).

If the problem is there are so many players going on that you wouldn't be able to track them, I'll volunteer to assist in STICKYing the 48hour closers.  Considering there is a timestamp on the forums though, this is a nonissue.  As long as people ONLY POST BIDS and no commentary as you put out earlier, we can count 2 days between post times to determine winners (if tragically no one can STICKY the winner immediately).

You're ability to post your best bid in a 72 hour period "wins out".

I'm all ears for your perfect system in place of the one we're contemplating. 

I'm all for the best bid idea until we put in in place and see how people are incentivized into using their second bid.  Yes, go big or go home works until the snipers wait until the last minute.  Maybe i thought 27M for 5Yrs was perfect for Votto.  If I get outbid by 5M, I may be willing to go more.  A finite number of bids gives extreme preference to those who can time the last bid into the 72hr window.

The current system seams fine.  Let people battle it out, close down the position at the end of the week until after all positions have been visited, bring in a few more FA Moderators to assist in identifying winning bids, managers get the player they want at the price they want and have the opportunity to overpay for a career season (Vernon Wells).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 10:40:16 PM »
So when I was outbid for Choi, I should've used that to bid on another guy I wanted.   Once another leading bid clears (let's say, tomorrow) I use that on Choi again creating another 48 hour window pushing the problem further out?

If we could bid on as many as we wanted, we wouldn't have so many 40hour rebids starting the process over.  I understand what you are saying regarding a rich team like :HOU: starting so many SP player bidding wars that managers won't know exactly how much money they have in outstanding leading bids but that is the only problem (thus why I have a spreadsheet).

If the problem is there are so many players going on that you wouldn't be able to track them, I'll volunteer to assist in STICKYing the 48hour closers.  Considering there is a timestamp on the forums though, this is a nonissue.  As long as people ONLY POST BIDS and no commentary as you put out earlier, we can count 2 days between post times to determine winners (if tragically no one can STICKY the winner immediately).

It's your decision how you want to use your bids.  There's certainly varying strategies in how to use your four winning bids but the rules are the same for everyone.

You're going to have to volunteer to do a heck of a lot more than sticky threads.  That's the least of the problems involving unlimited free agency.  You don't really seem to understand the amount of work involved in managing an unlimited amount of free agent threads along with roster moves and trades.  You also don't understand how difficult it would be for owners to monitor an unlimited amount of free agent threads and to manage their cap and roster space appropriately. 

If I had unlimited amount of free agent threads allowed, there's no question I would personally flood the board with 50 free agents and force people to look at every single one of them.  If you don't have the time to sign in once every 72 hours... there's no way you're going to have the time to check my 50 threads.

I'm all for the best bid idea until we put in in place and see how people are incentivized into using their second bid.  Yes, go big or go home works until the snipers wait until the last minute.  Maybe i thought 27M for 5Yrs was perfect for Votto.  If I get outbid by 5M, I may be willing to go more.  A finite number of bids gives extreme preference to those who can time the last bid into the 72hr window.

There is no sniping when all bids are best and final.  If you get outbid, your bid wasn't good enough.  It's that simple.   

The current system seams fine.  Let people battle it out, close down the position at the end of the week until after all positions have been visited, bring in a few more FA Moderators to assist in identifying winning bids, managers get the player they want at the price they want and have the opportunity to overpay for a career season (Vernon Wells).

Your comment seems to be at odds with your recent complaints about the limited winning bids. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: I also let one more walk
    Yesterday at 05:45:40 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I have not signed 2 players
    Yesterday at 05:45:54 PM
  • OUDAN: I se that
    Yesterday at 05:50:55 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: yepp
    Yesterday at 06:01:41 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: both on purpose
    Yesterday at 06:01:49 PM
  • Brent: I can afford Mobley.  I'll send a 2024 1st for him.
    Yesterday at 07:17:03 PM
  • TheGOAT: Would the NBA Live Draft be based on the actual NBA draft for the first year?
    Yesterday at 07:48:03 PM
  • OUDAN: Already traded him Brent
    Yesterday at 08:02:00 PM
  • Daddy: @TheGoat yes. As addressed yesterday the exception is the expansion Franchises are guaranteed #1 & #2 overall.
    Yesterday at 08:26:42 PM
  • Daddy: Updated NBA LIVE Pre-Reserve sign up sheet [link]
    Yesterday at 08:27:10 PM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    Yesterday at 08:47:28 PM
  • Braves155: I love the challenge of rebuilding Franchises. Nice having 3 1sts and loads of cap in NFL LIVE to help
    Yesterday at 09:07:56 PM
  • Daddy: You need it. We make it easier than anyone to rebuild, compete, and contend. Ask BAB. You can go from zero to hero pretty quick.
    Yesterday at 09:10:53 PM
  • Daddy: @Braves youve signed up for the total LIVE experience. 4 sports 6 leagues... Let me know publicly if any experience is better than LIVE in any sport
    Yesterday at 09:12:09 PM
  • Daddy: Please... And thank you. The goal is to constantly improve.
    Yesterday at 09:13:13 PM
  • Daddy: 4 Sports 6 Leagues you will see it all.
    Yesterday at 09:14:13 PM
  • Braves155: Never say die. Never quit
    Yesterday at 09:14:23 PM
  • Braves155: Legends rise
    Yesterday at 09:14:50 PM
  • Daddy: Never be satisfied
    Yesterday at 09:15:06 PM
  • Daddy: You tell em @Braves!
    Yesterday at 09:15:45 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE [link]
    Yesterday at 09:19:41 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE [link]
    Yesterday at 09:20:13 PM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE [link]
    Yesterday at 09:20:44 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE [link]
    Yesterday at 09:21:14 PM
  • Daddy: 128 NCAA teams [link] football & basketball.
    Yesterday at 09:24:01 PM
  • Daddy: We could do Midget Wrestling LIVE if we wanted too. Better than the WWE. Ask somebody or even better ..Find out for yourself.
    Yesterday at 09:27:53 PM
  • Braves155: UFC, Top Rank Boxing, let's go!
    Yesterday at 09:34:32 PM
  • DaveW: Premier League LIVE please
    Yesterday at 10:46:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: YNWA
    Yesterday at 10:50:18 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i would be down for that
    Yesterday at 10:50:28 PM
  • Daddy: Honestly, i do like soccer. Its very underrated.
    Yesterday at 10:51:50 PM
  • Daddy: Maybe 2026? We are a bit busy at the moment. :)
    Yesterday at 10:52:56 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: this sunday is gonna be the end of an era
    Yesterday at 10:53:40 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: for me as a Liverpool fan
    Yesterday at 10:53:47 PM
  • Daddy: I dig the idea Premier League LIVE (insert Eye emoji)
    Yesterday at 10:53:52 PM
  • Daddy: Public thanks to the Moderators & Moderators in training that make the LIVE experience possible. All of you are the best at what you do. Thanks!
    Yesterday at 11:06:06 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the night to talk any deals or dm me thoughts on Vegas names for NBA live. Have a list going
    Yesterday at 11:09:02 PM
  • Daddy: That Vegas name is significant. The NBA will move there eventually but we are the first ones ever to name a Franchise. We will always have that distinction.
    Yesterday at 11:12:25 PM
  • Daddy: Updated NBA LIVE sign up sheet [link] Its coming
    Today at 03:32:13 AM
  • Alpha5: Powerhouse Va
    Today at 07:05:37 AM
  • Alpha5: Powerhouse Baseball 2025
    Today at 07:05:47 AM
  • Alpha5: BIG announcement today. Stay tuned...
    Today at 07:06:15 AM
  • Alpha5: A PROFSL ReDraft league
    Today at 03:22:34 PM
  • Alpha5: 20 Teams
    Today at 03:22:44 PM
  • Alpha5: Cash prizes
    Today at 03:22:49 PM
  • Alpha5: LIVE Scoring system
    Today at 03:22:59 PM
  • Alpha5: Name your Team.
    Today at 03:23:47 PM
  • Alpha5: This is Powerhouse Baseball 2025