Author Topic: Some thoughts for the RC - and rest of the league  (Read 5926 times)

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: Some thoughts for the RC - and rest of the league
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 04:38:07 PM »
My beef with the signing bonus is not money management. It is with the fact that it puts small market teams at a disadvantage because of how high the bonus is. Zunino's bonus was 10% of :BAL:'s total cap space. Zunino's salary commitment for this year would make him the highest paid player on :BAL:. It's very easy for large market teams to clear cap space to sign players. It's much more difficult, for small market teams, especially well run ones, to clear cap space. For example, can :OAK: really clear up 2.5M in cap space to sign a draft pick? The draft is suppose to restore the competitive balance, if the small market teams have trouble signing the best players, then the purpose of the draft is void.

I agree 100% with Howe.  I completely understand the original concept of one overall player cost budget including the rookie draft, but it makes little sense that rookie bonuses can be as high as 7m, while rookies acquired through free agency like Profar can be had for as little as 500K.  Imo, it is simply unfair to ask small market teams like the Padres to hold back 12% of their caps for a player who might not impact their teams for 3-4 years. 

As far as the other suggestions, I would NOT be in favor of trading draft picks, eliminating divisional play, adopting the new CBA rules until we get a better grasp of what it entails, or adjusting the formula we have for calculating team salary cap amounts.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline nerwffej

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 6
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Illinois:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »
For draft pick signings can't there be a formula that has a % say like Yankees Hughes payroll pays 100% of the bonus but if lowest payroll team has to pay a extremely lower % of the bonus and %s change for all teams in the middle?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 06:32:10 PM »
As my opinions have previously been stated,  I still feel that no one has presented a reason FOR having the signing bonuses. Shooter I understand your position in saying that you knew going in that you were going to have to make sure you had room to sign whoever. But might I also point out that you had 4-5 MLBers all season long. There was no way you were going to win with that (you won 1 game - woulda got you fired in real life), and unless everything breaks right, you might not win with what you have. Now don't get me wrong, you have done a commendable job with your team, I have always said as much, and you are a benefit to this league. But there might be a point in time where you are going to need that extra 6 mil to field a team, yet at the same time it could still be bad, or have a bad year, then you are stuck because you have to pay a pick out of money that you don't have. As I have said previously, MLB teams never face this obstacle. Most teams have a stressed cap as it is, then they have to cut what are useful pieces in order to signs some rookies. It is counter productive to constructing a winning ballclub, especially if you are a fiscal giant.

As you pointed out Jake had an amazing year, kudos to him, but he HAD to cut guys to sign a player who might help him in 4-5 years. Pavano could have helped him next season. Not a lot, but you get my drift.

As far as #5 goes, I spoke with Colby because I was confused about why my cap was dropping every year, and he said because the Reds in real life made the play-offs and I had not. His Pirates had a poor 2010 and a good 2011 and his cap climbed both years. Why? Because the real life Pirates suck, that is until this season. So no, the cap influences aren't totally based on what happens in this league. If I finished 16th of 30 teams, and in my mind my cap shouldn't have gone up or down. I also apologize for talking about my team, but it is what I know best, not really familiar with how everyone else feels about their cap situation.

2,3,4 that's fine if no one is on board. I threw them out there because I had heard a few rumblings when I was commish, and those were some things that were brought up.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
For the signing bonus issue, would everyone be on board with keeping the signing bonus but allowing for teams to sign players to major league contracts (must adhere to max/min restrictions), and thus the bonus money would get spread out?

E.g., Zunino could be signed to a 3 year, 2.5M per year deal.

There are several disadvantages of signing major league contract (none are potentially to a team, but there are certainly enough incentives for teams to shoot for non-major league contracts):

1. Player would not be eligible for EDR, taking up a spot on the 40 men roster
2. Player would not be eligible for rookie extension provision (similar to any other major league contracted player)
3. There would be a penalty for dropping the player (similar to any other major league contract player)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Some thoughts for the RC - and rest of the league
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 06:31:21 PM »
Aren't we allowed to do that now OR is that only for prospect contracts in free agency?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 06:33:42 PM »
Regarding Dan's comments, your team's salary cap is only due to increase if it performs better than expected.  What is EXPECTED?  Well, the Yankees are expected to win the World Series every year since they have the highest payroll.  The Marlins and Padres are expected to be the worst.  The expectations change with the payroll.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Dan Wood

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
That is allowed in moneyball
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »
Colby, I'm sorry but I staunchly disagree with that sentiment of expectations. The league is too far different now than to have the same expectations year in and year out. Angels are a playoff contender every year in MLB. Here they stink out loud. After being poorly run that clubs expectations have taken on a life of their own, different from the Arte Moreno led club. You can't say a team is supposed to do anything based on payroll. But if payroll is the key to the city, then my argument for no signing bonuses has more weight. Look at the small market teams, and see who they signed. I think that speaks for itself. Top flight pitchers going into the supplemental round is just out and out absurd. How I am the only one who sees this is beyond me.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
Aren't we allowed to do that now OR is that only for prospect contracts in free agency?

This is currently not allowed in FGM. Only prospects in free agency can be signed to major league contracts.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »
1 Byron Buxton OF HS Appling County HS, Baxley, Ga. Ga.  Bonus = 7 M - Mariners
2 Mike Zunino C 4YR Florida Fla.      Bonus = 6 M - Orioles
3 Kyle Zimmer RHP 4YR San Francisco Calif.      Bonus = 5 M - Brewers - 1-27
 - this right here is a problem - no other teams before 1-27 could have used him?
4 Mark Appel RHP 4YR Stanford Calif.      Did not Sign Bonus = 6 M - 1-62
Orioles - spent 13 million on draft - hasn't had a team in 2 years
5 Kevin Gausman RHP 4YR Louisiana State La.      Bonus = 3.5 M - White Sox 1-13
 - goes to a contending team - also makes sense
6 Carlos Correa SS HS Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, Gurabo, P.R. P.R. Bonus = 3.5 M
1-3 Mets
7 Albert Almora OF HS Mater Academy, Hialeah Gardens, Fla. Fla.  Bonus = 3 M
1-5 Cubs
8 Michael Wacha RHP 4YR Texas A&M Texas      Bonus = 3 M
1-25 to Cardinals - another team in need -
9 Lucas Giolito RHP HS Harvard-Westlake HS, Studio City, Calif. Calif.  Bonus = 2.5 M
San Fran - auto picked at 1-8 - but better guys go 20 picks later - totally makes sense
10 Marcus Stroman RHP 4YR Duke N.C.      Bonus = 2.5 M - 1-49 - #49? #49? PEDs aside - no one else could have used him prior to pick #49

I won't go any further - I think I made my point

I'm sure the lower end teams (Orioles non-withstanding - chose NOT to draft these guys on talent)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: your a day early Daddy
    April 24, 2024, 12:51:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: ist tomorrow
    April 24, 2024, 12:52:07 PM
  • Daddy: :doh: FML
    April 24, 2024, 01:05:48 PM
  • indiansnation: Good evening all
    April 24, 2024, 04:45:28 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Trey hendrickson and tee higgins both request trades day before the draft. Tomorrow will bring fireworks
    April 24, 2024, 07:50:56 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Thurs kickoff starts at 1pm nfl network
    April 24, 2024, 08:32:25 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yepp
    April 24, 2024, 08:40:50 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: This mock draft on espn is interesting tonight.
    April 24, 2024, 09:37:27 PM
  • Alpha5: Why does Hendrickson want out?
    April 24, 2024, 11:20:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Money alpha
    April 24, 2024, 11:37:29 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: He and like Higgins wants to get paid and have a better secure contract
    April 24, 2024, 11:37:49 PM
  • Braves155: I'm sure the Falcons will botch another Draft.
    Yesterday at 08:07:49 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Agreed
    Yesterday at 09:59:57 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: ITS DRAFT DAYYYY
    Yesterday at 12:00:23 PM
  • Rob: Welcome to New England, Drake Maye
    Yesterday at 01:45:48 PM
  • Rob: Hopefully you're not what I think you are
    Yesterday at 01:46:33 PM
  • Rob: Which is, Zach Wilson.
    Yesterday at 01:46:38 PM
  • janesvilleaces: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 01:54:14 PM
  • Renegade: So what’s happening
    Yesterday at 03:54:16 PM
  • Renegade: My 1st time playing college football fantasy
    Yesterday at 03:56:40 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: @Rob ive seen that take a few times. “Drake Maye=Zach Wilson”. Thats not how i see it. The Physical tools and demeanor alone are very different between the two. I like maye alot
    Yesterday at 03:58:58 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Are you a patriots fan @rob ?
    Yesterday at 03:59:21 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Jwalkejr88 pm
    Yesterday at 04:01:47 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: jwalkerjr88 replied back
    Yesterday at 04:18:37 PM
  • indiansnation: Good evening all which league we talking trade.
    Yesterday at 04:47:08 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: im nfl
    Yesterday at 04:47:43 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Understood BAB
    Yesterday at 05:00:25 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Always NFL Brian
    Yesterday at 05:00:36 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yepp
    Yesterday at 05:06:57 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Can't wait to see the madness
    Yesterday at 05:10:27 PM
  • Daddy: God im sooooooo busy today. Im trying to get errands and profsl done before the draft :doh:
    Yesterday at 06:05:24 PM
  • Daddy: There is no way but im gonna keep at it.
    Yesterday at 06:06:27 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: as long as u r here for draft
    Yesterday at 06:08:49 PM
  • janesvilleaces: Go pack go
    Yesterday at 07:26:45 PM
  • Daddy: I thought i had converted you to a Ram fan by now @janes (insert eye emoji)
    Yesterday at 07:35:47 PM
  • Braves155: Sup guys
    Yesterday at 07:35:57 PM
  • Daddy: NFL DRAFT second only to the NFL LIVE Draft in entertainment!
    Yesterday at 08:52:12 PM
  • Daddy: 8/1/24 8PM Change your NFL LIVE teams future with these guys right here!
    Yesterday at 08:52:53 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Plan on it.
    Yesterday at 09:25:23 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Interesting developments so far. If you need a QB in NFL Live. Plenty of them have 1st round pedigree
    Yesterday at 10:53:26 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE Draft Room [link] current picks, 2024 preview & history.
    Yesterday at 11:06:17 PM
  • Braves155: Daddy, what are your thoughts on the NFL Draft thus far?
    Yesterday at 11:34:39 PM
  • Braves155: Or anyone, what ya think?
    Yesterday at 11:35:07 PM
  • dbreer23: Vegeta100 PM
    Yesterday at 11:40:43 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Alot of surprised tonight as expected. Offensive heavy. 6 QBs in the 1st. 7 WRs. Fun night
    Today at 12:52:03 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Alot of NFL Live implications. Cant wait to see it unfold. On to night 2
    Today at 12:52:28 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i wish we took cooper Frick
    Today at 01:05:02 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: we coulda waited on pearsall
    Today at 01:05:12 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: as much as i do like him a bit cuz he was dceent at ASU and solid at UF
    Today at 01:05:26 AM
  • Daddy: Who is cooper Frick? What position he play
    Today at 02:57:55 AM