* Franchise NHL

Author Topic: DISCUSSION: Supplemental Draft ELC value determination  (Read 2059 times)

Offline blkhwkfn

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Wisconsin:
    • :CHE:
    • View Profile
Re: DISCUSSION: Supplemental Draft ELC value determination
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 09:42:57 PM »
I sense there are owners who do not like the use of minimum wage for supplemental draft prospects but don't understand why. It benefits all of us equally does it not? No one has any special advantage, correct? What am I missing? We all drafted players we wanted which is the goal of the draft IMO.
100% agree. Not sure why some want to reinvent the wheel.

Now if there is a tweek to add it would be once you Buy Out a player or release him from milr you cant attempt to resign or redraft for a season. Unless you reaquire said player through trade.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Can't we all just get along?
Rodney King

Offline izaman3

• Legend
    • :Blank:
    • :DET-NHL:
    • :Michigan:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 09:48:41 PM »
PPG and I decided 2 yrs ago the SDP ELC would be the league minimum to standardize the process of graduating SDP draftees. There's a ton of work and I not going to make PPG take on more detail work verifying rank, yr, draft position, ELC salary ranges, spelling of name etc. The supplemental is meant to be fun not a new pile of admin.

I understand that this was decided 2 years ago, but I don't get why it wasn't put into the rules or explained to the GMs. If this was decided two years ago, it shouldn't be such a surprise.

I don't want to make PPG take on more work, but he is already verifying draft positions when he is adding the players to our rosters. Ever player taken in a supp draft has their real life draft position listed if they were drafted or it says UNDRAFTED. So it does not seem like an extra step to me. I could be wrong, but if so, I am willing to volunteer to do the extra admin work.

I sense there are owners who do not like the use of minimum wage for supplemental draft prospects but don't understand why. It benefits all of us equally does it not? No one has any special advantage, correct? What am I missing? We all drafted players we wanted which is the goal of the draft IMO.

I agree that it does benefit all the owners, but all the owners aren't aware this was the rule. Many were under the assumption that all MiLR players were subject to the same ELC values whether they were entry level or supplemental players. And actually, I think it is giving some teams a special advantage. The point of higher salaries for higher drafted players is that they are usually better players who score higher and should be paid more money. If not, then why do we have ELC values at all? All prospects should be eligible for the league minimum.

With this ruling, during year's supplemental draft, the entire second round could be teams dropping whoever they drafted first in the previous year's entry draft and then selecting them again in the supplemental. This creates tons of more admin work for PPG. because he would have to process all the drops and then edit the players as supplemental picks. It also means that Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko, Bowen Byram, and all the other top 2019 entry draft players will be signing to league minimum contracts instead of the $3m or $2.5m a year that they should be making. At that point, why should we even have ELC values?

It also creates an incentive for all teams to keep their Supplemental draft picks instead of trading them. Why would you trade a supplemental draft pick when you can save $2m in cap space on your top prospect? That will eliminate some of the excitement and activity that the supplemental draft has created.

Because many GMs will be incentivized to use their supplemental picks on highly rated, already drafted players, it also eliminates the excitement of the prospect research and efforts for GMs to find diamonds in the rough during the supplemental draft. Players I'm after keep getting taken by other GMs, and I'm sure that I'm taking people that other teams want. That is part of the fun. But instead, what is likely to happen is that many teams will simply redraft players already in their system.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline blkhwkfn

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:38 PM »
See my post. Once you drop a player or buy him out you are done with that player. You cant redraft or bid on him. Seems a simple rewording is in order. I can say i am not seeing this still.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Rodney King

Offline izaman3

• Legend
    • :DET-NHL:
    • :Michigan:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »
See my post. Once you drop a player or buy him out you are done with that player. You cant redraft or bid on him. Seems a simple rewording is in order. I can say i am not seeing this still.

100% agree. Not sure why some want to reinvent the wheel.

Now if there is a tweek to add it would be once you Buy Out a player or release him from milr you cant attempt to resign or redraft for a season. Unless you reaquire said player through trade.

I would support that change. I think it could solve this issue completely. But I also think it is reinventing the wheel to have too different prospect pay scales, we already have ELC values based on real life draft position, we already have those real life draft positions listed for our players. That seems pretty simple to me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:08:10 PM by izaman3 »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline AntMan

• Veteran
    • :STL-NHL:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Franchise NHL - Questions Section
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 10:13:56 PM »
Though this is a discussion... the decision is that yr 1 and current SDP prospects (those drafted in 2018 + 2019) get a standard 0.6m ELC for skaters and 1.0m for goalies. Draft position in the Supplemental or NHl entry draft are not a factor for the SDP.

If majority of owners want to alter that after this discussion sometime in the future it can be done.

Devils advocate or whatever here but the only rule for prospect contracts written indicated nhl draft position. Nothing else exists related to contract rules.

I think the decision should go into writing before practice; feels like proper sequence else we’re offering a private advantage

I agree with the Hawks fan this is small as it’s only to the benefit of one team and easily reversed.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline EndGame

• Veteran
    • :NJD:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 11:14:02 PM »
In most leagues I have been part of,  if there is missing information or something is unclear, it becomes the responsibility of the commissioner to render a decision.

I didn't see it in writing but I PM'ed PPG amd was informed of the EL contract for SDP players.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline halo99

• Rookie
    • :NE:
    • :STL-NHL:
    • :Missouri:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 11:55:56 PM »
I'll put my 2 cents in I guess for what it's worth.

I'll start by saying I really don't care about this that much one way or the other. Whatever PPG & PR decide to do I'm on board with. That being said I know for me personally I never had any reason to believe that the contract values would be different for the SUP draft than the FNHL entry draft. The reason being is the ELC's were always tied to the real NHL draft and not the FNHL draft. I could have the first overall pick in the FNHL draft and if I decided to take a guy drafted in the 6th round in the real draft his contract would be the minimum and not 3.0m. So I really had no reason to believe the rules would be different for the SUP draft and honestly I'm sure most people would have just assumed it's the same because we had no reason to believe otherwise because it's spelled out in black & white that ELCs are tied to the real draft.

Personally I think the rule regarding SUP ELCs should be effective starting next draft unless it was spelled out in writing ahead of time. I understand why the mods would want it and I really can't blame them for that.

Like I said just my 2 cents this is the last thing I'll say about it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:58:19 PM by halo99 »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline blkhwkfn

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 02:48:25 AM »
I would support that change. I think it could solve this issue completely. But I also think it is reinventing the wheel to have too different prospect pay scales, we already have ELC values based on real life draft position, we already have those real life draft positions listed for our players. That seems pretty simple to me.
:iatp: yep
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Rodney King

Offline ALL4U2NV

• Rookie
  • Vegas in 2019!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 04:59:43 AM »
This seems like a charged discussion led by a few owners. Sounds like Wirtz, Ballard and Snider. :rofl:

If this is an issue which I do not believe ia the case, here's a remedy. Why complicate this situation. I say just prevent Buyouts and releases during the supplemental draft. Put another way, impose a transaction freeze during the Supplemental so that teams cannot drop and draft. Colorado has been pushing that strategy to the max. Detroit was the first to use it last year. I thought it was funny and weird both the Avs and Wings are so upset suddenly.

But is there any real benefit that tips the scales in fav of a team that employs that drop and draft strategy. Not that I can see. It's perception by a few.

One players doesn't make a team. Just ask LA who owns McDavid or better, ask the NHL's Oilers. :rofl:

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in. - Jack Torrance

Offline ALL4U2NV

• Rookie
  • Vegas in 2019!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 05:20:09 AM »
I understand that this was decided 2 years ago, but I don't get why it wasn't put into the rules or explained to the GMs. If this was decided two years ago, it shouldn't be such a surprise.

I don't want to make PPG take on more work, but he is already verifying draft positions when he is adding the players to our rosters. Ever player taken in a supp draft has their real life draft position listed if they were drafted or it says UNDRAFTED. So it does not seem like an extra step to me. I could be wrong, but if so, I am willing to volunteer to do the extra admin work.

I agree that it does benefit all the owners, but all the owners aren't aware this was the rule. Many were under the assumption that all MiLR players were subject to the same ELC values whether they were entry level or supplemental players. And actually, I think it is giving some teams a special advantage. The point of higher salaries for higher drafted players is that they are usually better players who score higher and should be paid more money. If not, then why do we have ELC values at all? All prospects should be eligible for the league minimum.

With this ruling, during year's supplemental draft, the entire second round could be teams dropping whoever they drafted first in the previous year's entry draft and then selecting them again in the supplemental. This creates tons of more admin work for PPG. because he would have to process all the drops and then edit the players as supplemental picks. It also means that Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko, Bowen Byram, and all the other top 2019 entry draft players will be signing to league minimum contracts instead of the $3m or $2.5m a year that they should be making. At that point, why should we even have ELC values?

It also creates an incentive for all teams to keep their Supplemental draft picks instead of trading them. Why would you trade a supplemental draft pick when you can save $2m in cap space on your top prospect? That will eliminate some of the excitement and activity that the supplemental draft has created.

Because many GMs will be incentivized to use their supplemental picks on highly rated, already drafted players, it also eliminates the excitement of the prospect research and efforts for GMs to find diamonds in the rough during the supplemental draft. Players I'm after keep getting taken by other GMs, and I'm sure that I'm taking people that other teams want. That is part of the fun. But instead, what is likely to happen is that many teams will simply redraft players already in their system.

With all due respect, as vocal as you are, Detroit was to my recollection the first team to drop & draft during the inaugural supplemental. Goalie Larson I think. Ironically you opened the door that others are walking through now.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in. - Jack Torrance

* FNHL Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Im looking to compete in mlb live im looking to add pieces to my team. I can move any of my prospects no one is safe in my minors
    April 13, 2024, 11:01:13 PM
  • Daddy: Hit me up
    April 13, 2024, 11:07:04 PM
  • Daddy: Grandpa Brian
    April 13, 2024, 11:07:15 PM
  • indiansnation: No thanks daddy im looking to take your team out. I want to make my @@@ch
    April 13, 2024, 11:15:39 PM
  • indiansnation: Looking for one moe big bat and a couple of starting pitching
    April 13, 2024, 11:16:27 PM
  • indiansnation: Back at u bigfry
    April 13, 2024, 11:24:04 PM
  • Daddy: Im preparing for Hockey domination. :)
    April 14, 2024, 12:06:09 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry important pm read the latest pm i sent u
    April 14, 2024, 12:14:42 AM
  • indiansnation: Dad yea u going down in that league also nhl live u got no chance in any live leagues
    April 14, 2024, 12:15:32 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy im takening u out
    April 14, 2024, 12:15:47 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm trade offer sent
    April 14, 2024, 12:36:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry back at u
    April 14, 2024, 12:57:58 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry trade posted everything u mentioned to me
    April 14, 2024, 01:27:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Stlouis blues 91 pm back at u
    April 14, 2024, 01:34:40 AM
  • indiansnation: Debreer23 pm
    April 14, 2024, 01:37:22 AM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    April 14, 2024, 02:36:03 AM
  • Daddy: Geezus that MLB board is lit up. Lets clean that up a bit.
    April 14, 2024, 01:24:20 PM
  • Daddy: Great job Gary, thank you.
    April 14, 2024, 01:27:52 PM
  • janesvilleaces: Daddy pm
    April 14, 2024, 03:31:53 PM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    April 14, 2024, 04:13:22 PM
  • Alpha5: The nada
    April 14, 2024, 04:21:06 PM
  • Alpha5: De nothing
    April 14, 2024, 04:21:12 PM
  • Alpha5: It's nada
    April 14, 2024, 04:28:39 PM
  • dbreer23: Clear as mierda
    April 14, 2024, 04:39:57 PM
  • Daddy: Back @janes
    April 14, 2024, 05:00:16 PM
  • Rhino7: If you’re in CCD and plan to return next season, make sure to check-in asap before it’s too late! Notices have been made and soon some of you could get replaced. Only takes a moment to get it done. [link]
    April 14, 2024, 06:08:14 PM
  • STLBlues91: Just got home so replying to all messages now
    April 14, 2024, 08:37:13 PM
  • jimw: CCD championship ended one week ago and we are pressured to decide right away if we are coming back or we lose our team?
    April 14, 2024, 08:39:48 PM
  • Rhino7: It’s a dynasty league so we assume everyone plans to return. This is the time for those who definitely don’t plan to return to say so that way we know ahead of time we have to find replacements. Nobody is pressuring you, it’s more of a courtesy to the LM who do this for nothing so they can make a game plan for next season.
    April 14, 2024, 11:13:17 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS scoring update after 1 week with 4 days to go.  :ANA: Ducks 112.05 v 149.85 :NYR: Rangers [link] :taco:
    April 14, 2024, 11:51:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Indians mlb live looking to trade looking for a bat or 2 and starting pitching.
    Yesterday at 03:38:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    Yesterday at 05:43:06 PM
  • Daddy: Brian you are in 11 leagues? You are a true legend dude.
    Yesterday at 06:04:36 PM
  • Daddy: Sports Fan dynasty legend.
    Yesterday at 06:05:16 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I'm in 10
    Yesterday at 07:06:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: And active in all
    Yesterday at 07:06:41 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    Yesterday at 07:22:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 07:22:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day
    Yesterday at 07:27:08 PM
  • Daddy: Youre getting the full experience in that many leagues. There is always something to do.
    Yesterday at 07:33:19 PM
  • Daddy: Each league is different so makes you approach things differently.
    Yesterday at 07:33:43 PM
  • Jon: i have openings in SEC football 1st year league
    Yesterday at 07:54:15 PM
  • Jon: I am pretty sure that I am going to do away with the 64 team league as I can't justify paying the fee that Fantrax wants
    Yesterday at 07:54:44 PM
  • Jon: [link]
    Yesterday at 07:56:47 PM
  • Daddy: I pay about $500 in fantrax fees. I feel ya Jon.
    Yesterday at 08:09:00 PM
  • Daddy: Probably more if i added it all up. All that work + all that money = why very few do it. #Respect
    Yesterday at 08:11:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm
    Yesterday at 09:52:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w one last pm
    Today at 01:01:12 AM
  • indiansnation: Trade posted jim w
    Today at 01:02:15 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Two late night deals
    Today at 01:18:11 AM