Author Topic: Scoring Categories  (Read 16835 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Scoring Categories
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:01:35 PM »
Please give details regarding your answer selection.  This poll will most likely affect 2010 scoring.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:31:45 AM by Colby »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

lp815

Re: Scoring Categories
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »
My choices reflect a 6x6 format:

Hitting: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS
Pitching: K, W, ERA, H, S, WHIP

The hitting choices offer a pretty level playing field with all hitters, and the OPS will benefit hitters who tally a lot of extra base hits and walks, a stat that is overlooked in my opinioin.

My pitching choices encompass all pitchers relatively evenly.  Holds offer an incentive to go after good relievers, not just closers, during the year.

In my opinion, negative stats aren't necessary for leagues, only positive ones.  It does give a little more strategy to the selection of players, but most managers I know feel more confident in stats that are encouraging, not discouraging.  So when it comes to hitter's K's, Losses, hits allowed, etc., I don't really appeal to them.  My two cents. :-)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »
Well, it is in my interest to keep a good amount of defensive oriented statistics in this league.  The Washington Nationals are a prime example of a team with excellent hitters, but whose porous defense aids their horrible pitching to produce the worst record in baseball.  Defensive stats (FLD%, E, PO, A) will also be considered each year.

Ideally, I would like to come to a conclusion as to what the stat categories are to be by 2010.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

lp815

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 05:21:05 PM »
Well, it is in my interest to keep a good amount of defensive oriented statistics in this league.  The Washington Nationals are a prime example of a team with excellent hitters, but whose porous defense aids their horrible pitching to produce the worst record in baseball.  Defensive stats (FLD%, E, PO, A) will also be considered each year.

Ideally, I would like to come to a conclusion as to what the stat categories are to be by 2010.

In that respect, I would have no problem with those categories either.  Defense, while not in any of my current leagues, would definitely add something to the league.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JMGC

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 05:24:48 PM »
 I would do a 6x6 scoring system. The offensive stats I would like to see are AVG, OBP, SLUG, OPS, SB%, and FLD%. For pitching, I would do wins, K/9, K/BB, ERA, WHIP, and IP.

I chose those offensive stats because I think it covers all hitters well. Some hitters hit for average, and not much else. Adam Dunn is an example of a hitter who has a terrible AVG, but has a good OBP and a good SLUG. SB% is better than SB because it measures how good you are at stealing. SB alone won;t do, since there is a cahnce that they steal alot, but also get caught alot. FLD% would be good as the defensive stat, if you want one more you can take out either AVG or OPS. I thought OPS was important because it measure how good the hitter is at his job, getting on base and hitting for power. I woud rather you take out AVG, since OBP is better at determining how often he gets on base.

I chose those pitching stats beacuse K/9 is good to see how good the pitcher is at getting strike outs, K/BB is a measure of his control, ERA is how a measure of holding down the oppsing teams offense, WHIP is a good measure of keeping the oppsing team from getting base runners, and IP shows how long a pitcher can last. I didn't choose any realiever stats since they usually help out with the ERA, since most have awesome ERA's, K/9, K/BB, and WHIP. Those apply to all pitchers evenly. Wins I don't like as much, since it depends to much on the talent off the pitchers team  and not the talent of just the pitcher. An example of that is Dan Haren this year, but I guess it is neccasery. I would prefer a BB/9 rather than Wins, since that shows how good his control is. H/9 innings is also a good option, but that also depends on how good the defence behind the pitcher is. if he has a horrible defence, not all the plays will be made, while if a pitcher has an incredible defence behind him some hits would be taken away. That is my opinion on the scoring system for next year,
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

clidwin

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 07:14:45 PM »
My biggest thing would be to get 30 commited GM's!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 01:15:43 PM »
My biggest thing would be to get 30 commited GM's!

We are currently at 28 with the Astros and Mariners open, but it is possible the GM of the Dodgers will be stepping down already.  If you know of anyone that would be interested, then please refer them over this way.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

lp815

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 02:24:37 PM »
My friend would like to join, a good fantasy player.  His e-mail is jimylewis@hotmail.com.  He would like the Dodgers if they are available, if not then the Mariners, then finally the Astros.  Thanks Colby.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mcsarge21

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 02:37:51 PM »
Ditto on a friend wanting to join. As I stated in my email, he would be interested as well. I don't know which team he would prefer if the Dodgers are already spoken for, but I'm checking with him now. His email is ocnomad77@yahoo.com

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »
I emailed both, asking them to sign up here, read over the rules and confirm their interest.  Thanks guys.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Guardians might bot draft great hitters but guardians have one of the best pitching farms in mlb
    April 30, 2024, 12:24:46 AM
  • indiansnation: And he was draft in10th round in 2023 draft
    April 30, 2024, 12:25:37 AM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE all that matters. I'd rather win the LIVE Championship than see the Phillies win the WS #Factz
    April 30, 2024, 12:26:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Thats why the vet gms pn this site do so good with their minors they spend alot of time reasearching
    April 30, 2024, 12:26:58 AM
  • Daddy: I did one. I watched the other. Im a doing kind of guy first.
    April 30, 2024, 12:27:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Well daddy dont get your hopes up this yr u ate not going to win it
    April 30, 2024, 12:27:37 AM
  • Daddy: You have to research now. We eliminated the rules that allow people to hijack prospects because they think you smart but they dont know chit.
    April 30, 2024, 12:29:11 AM
  • Daddy: You cant hide or be a poser. You gotta post up your own FAs and prospect finds.
    April 30, 2024, 12:29:51 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy  u just got traded to rangers for box of baseballs
    April 30, 2024, 12:30:29 AM
  • Daddy: Unless you miss the famous PC +$200k bid :rofl:
    April 30, 2024, 12:31:22 AM
  • Daddy: At least im worth baseballs Brian. You wanna know which kind of balls you worth my friend?
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:14 AM
  • indiansnation: I got give daddy credit on that. It makes it so much easier. I spend hours at a time researching them and then another team tries to buy them
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:18 AM
  • indiansnation: Nope i was told wiffel balls only ones at any value i could get in return
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:57 AM
  • Daddy: Big ones Brian.
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:02 AM
  • Daddy: Big Wiffle Balls
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:17 AM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    April 30, 2024, 08:26:57 PM
  • Rhino7: You still in CCD?
    April 30, 2024, 09:21:41 PM
  • Braves155: No
    April 30, 2024, 10:44:49 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Hey Braves155:
    April 30, 2024, 10:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE has 44 teams declared. Great teams are available like Florida, Cal, Utah major college football programs are still available.
    Yesterday at 03:09:53 PM
  • Daddy: Sign up [link] to claim your favorite college program. Recruiting begins 6/1/24 @8PM EST
    Yesterday at 03:10:42 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE season update posts on profsl (individual posts) 2021=601 views >> 2022=690 views >> 2023=5000k views (insert eyes emoji)
    Yesterday at 05:00:29 PM
  • Daddy: Profsl aint TikTok. You post something here and it gets 5k views in a few months, thats major interest gents.
    Yesterday at 05:03:47 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for ay talks in any of the leagues im in
    Yesterday at 06:54:02 PM
  • Daddy: Yall be sneaking these fast baseball trades on us. :) Congratulations to both GMs.
    Yesterday at 07:57:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: tryna stay competitive
    Yesterday at 08:18:31 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, still TBD if trading my best player will pay off in the long run.
    Yesterday at 10:19:59 PM
  • Daddy: Two more trades dropped simultaneously.
    Yesterday at 11:54:44 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to all four GMs :toth:
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • dbreer23: I'm getting too old to keep up with all of these trades.
    Yesterday at 11:58:35 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah MLB is insane this year.
    Today at 12:04:09 AM
  • Daddy: You could always go back to drinking... We dont mind a few liquor induced gremlins on the SS ;)
    Today at 12:06:49 AM
  • dbreer23: I think I'm on the wagon permanently. Haven't touched a drop in months. Wasn't a conscious thing, just sort of happened.
    Today at 12:08:42 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations sir. I think. Life's too short for me. My days are numbered.
    Today at 12:11:44 AM
  • dbreer23: Death comes for us all in the end...
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: if anything saving the drinks for the weekend
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: saving the drinks for weekend
    Today at 12:13:08 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: got two games
    Today at 12:13:17 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: going to the AHL playoff game mikwake admirals vs texas stars sat and then UTexas baseball vs oklahoma st sunday
    Today at 12:13:57 AM
  • Daddy: Death can kiss my no no zone.
    Today at 12:14:37 AM
  • dbreer23: :rofl:
    Today at 12:15:14 AM
  • Daddy: I smoke, i drink, im supposed to stop but i caint, i howl at the moon and bury my bone places its hard to dig it out of.
    Today at 12:29:22 AM
  • Daddy: If not for fantasy sports... Hmmm. I think i would be a male dancer. :)
    Today at 12:30:52 AM
  • Daddy: Another new trade just ruined a clean board. Lol  congratulations to both GMs :toth: looks like i can keep my dance outfit in the attic.
    Today at 12:40:22 AM
  • Daddy: Damn... She's a Biggun
    Today at 12:40:57 AM
  • Yeagg: That's why we made the trade. That outfit can stay hidden forever
    Today at 12:43:17 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl: :rofl:
    Today at 12:46:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i can deff say this has been the most active week in MLB live in a long while
    Today at 12:47:31 AM
  • Daddy: Season is a month old. Its been a busy month. Ask the professor.
    Today at 12:51:15 AM
  • Daddy: Thats the whole point. 30 teams 30 dudes running them. Everyday lurking & looking to build.
    Today at 12:52:50 AM