Dynasty NHL

Author Topic: Flyers - Penguins Trade  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Rob

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
Re: Flyers - Penguins Trade
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »
My big issue is how can you say it's a good trade for a contending team and not for a rebuilding team?

Because he's not winning anything next year.  He would need to increase his weekly point production by 100+ points to contend for a playoff spot next season.  This trade does increase his production, but not by even close to enough.  He's trading away his finest assets and he nets nothing since by the time he's competitive, Chara will be retired, Halak will be a backup somewhere and Getzlaf will be a 1/2 PPG player.

What if he flips those guys to contenders? GMs should be allowed to run their teams the way they want.

It's true that he could do this, but where's the evidence that he will?  The evidence we do have suggests that he won't.  Where was he this past trade deadline when he could and should have shopped Sedin to a contender for an overpayment?  That's what a good rebuilding team would have done.

This is why I hate TC's. People have their own ways to run the team. One GM says how great the deal is and another says each player for player should be even.

This is why we have 7 people on the TC - because opinions differ.  Right now the votes are tied 2-2.  The next 3 votes will decide this.  How is that not fair?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline papps

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 9
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PHI:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 04:12:44 PM »
Its ridiculous that I get penalized because you think Dave cannot run his team.  To his point, you should replace him if you feel he can't do the job.  Dave has been around a long time and has shown to be a competent GM in multiple leagues.  Its not like my teams have been very good in this league either.  I can't stand when people veto trades let alone when they think they are "protecting" another owner.  If that's the issue he shouldn't be in the league.  I'm pretty much done with this and could care less at this point if the trade is approved or not. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:14:37 PM by papps »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 - 2021 NFL Live Champion :TB-NFL:
🏆 - 2020 Bush League Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 Franchise GM Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 The League Champion :PIT-NFL:
🏆 - 2016 Moneyball II Champion :BOS:
🏆 - 2010 Agents vs GMs Champion :PHI:

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 05:00:38 PM »
Its ridiculous that I get penalized because you think Dave cannot run his team.  To his point, you should replace him if you feel he can't do the job.  Dave has been around a long time and has shown to be a competent GM in multiple leagues.  Its not like my teams have been very good in this league either.  I can't stand when people veto trades let alone when they think they are "protecting" another owner.  If that's the issue he shouldn't be in the league.  I'm pretty much done with this and could care less at this point if the trade is approved or not.

I dont know why you are getting upset.  If its a fair deal going both ways you haven't lost anything or been penalized other than some time in banging out the deal. 

My veto is based on protecting the team , not the GM.  You called into question of the strategy.  I will point to the Vancouver Canucks as exhibit A.  Gilly came in, traded away all the young players and picks for high priced veterans made a 1st round exit in the playoffs and then bailed. Ask Drew how that is working out for him these days.  The trade IMO ( and yes it is just that my opinion being on the trade committee) that this trade was going to be detrimental to the longer term viability of the team. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline -BA-

• Legend
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :WAS-NHL:
    • :Michigan:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 06:54:36 PM »
Philly gets:
C Tomas Hertl, $0.2m (P-16/17)
LW James van Riemsdyk, $5.3m (2019-2020)
Pick 1-12

Penguins get:
C Ryan Getzlaf, $6.9m (2017-2018)
LW Evander Kane, $6.7m (2016-2017)
G Jaroslav Halak, $4m (2017-2018)
D Zdeno Chara, $6.9m (2017-2018)

This is a win-win deal for both teams.  I get two good players, a pick, and much needed cap space and the Pens use their cash to bring in four good players to help round out their roster.  Both teams fill needs here. 

Thanks for the deal, Dave!  Good luck to you!

Here are my thoughts.

This does look like a deal a team on the verge of winning a championship would do, which Pit is def not. It makes his team better in the short term, but really hurts him long term, by tying up cap space on veterans that are closer to their decline than their prime.

Hertl had a real nice year and is under a prospect contract and subject to a prospect extension. He looks to be on the rise.

Kane and van Reimsdyk are basically a wash point wise, and are the same age, but Kane costs 1.4M more.

I believe Getslaf has a few good years left in him but I don't know that he will perform better than he did this year, so 3 ppg may be the best you can hope for.

Halak has bounced around a bit and is 30 yrs old. I think he is a lot closer to being a solid backup. This year he only played 36 games so he is already splitting time. Pit has nothing at G now, so I understand adding a servicable goalie is a good thing, but in a year or 2 how much will he be playing.

Chara scores over 2ppg but he is 38 and has a HORRIBLE contract.

The first round pick should still be decent. but I don't see why this was needed in the deal at all.

I understand why Philly would love this deal, they get 2 young players that are under contract for a while assuming the prospect extension for Hertl, for more expensive players under shorter contracts, and 3 of those guys are 30 or over. Halak does not make up they difference between these 2 players based on the number of games that he is playing, even if his numbers are good in those games.

To give up that much cap and still get 2 very good young players is just too much for me. Sorry but I just can't buy this deal for a 2 win team.  :veto:

Maybe you can work out a smaller deal with 1 of the players or something, but too me its just too big of a deal to make sense as is.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You go to the box. Two minutes by yourself and... you feel shame. You know... and then you get free."

Offline Tarheels55

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 197
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :IND-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :NorthCarolina:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »
Smaller deal will be worked out.  >:(
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline izaman3

• Legend
    • :DET-NHL:
    • :Michigan:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 11:39:32 AM »
I understand where the vetoes are coming from, but I approve this deal.

Cap space will be important over the next few years but Pitt has plenty of it to use how they see fit. Goalies are always valuable and Pitt really needs one. I like Kane over JVR and look for him to play even better with Eichel next year. I also think that Getzlaf and Chara make attractive trade chips for next deadline and they will increase the return on this trade. Pitt can send cash tied to these contracts if needed to make a deal work.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 12:12:15 PM »
Both members are preferring to scrap this trade and go with the revised deal posted. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Another new trade just ruined a clean board. Lol  congratulations to both GMs :toth: looks like i can keep my dance outfit in the attic.
    Yesterday at 12:40:22 AM
  • Daddy: Damn... She's a Biggun
    Yesterday at 12:40:57 AM
  • Yeagg: That's why we made the trade. That outfit can stay hidden forever
    Yesterday at 12:43:17 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl: :rofl:
    Yesterday at 12:46:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i can deff say this has been the most active week in MLB live in a long while
    Yesterday at 12:47:31 AM
  • Daddy: Season is a month old. Its been a busy month. Ask the professor.
    Yesterday at 12:51:15 AM
  • Daddy: Thats the whole point. 30 teams 30 dudes running them. Everyday lurking & looking to build.
    Yesterday at 12:52:50 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE we havent forgotten about you. (NCAA is just massive) We have brought in some heavy hitters in every sport. The competition and fun is what we are after. The NHL Draft is approaching.
    Yesterday at 12:27:48 PM
  • Daddy: We will be drafting the same guys from the same draft order as the actual NHL Draft.
    Yesterday at 12:28:18 PM
  • Daddy: Did i mention you inherited the actual teams? AHL rosters too :thumbsup:
    Yesterday at 12:29:06 PM
  • snugerud: You lost me at 30 dudes lurking.  creeped me out.
    Yesterday at 01:45:01 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah... Its like Pet Cemetery. (Insert ghastly music theme)
    Yesterday at 01:55:49 PM
  • Daddy: Im like Pat McAfee without the money, success, likability or platform. Just out here loving sports and competition.
    Yesterday at 02:04:02 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE 2024 Bowl Schedule [link]
    Yesterday at 03:46:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for any trade talks the rest of the day
    Yesterday at 05:37:03 PM
  • Alpha5: Having trouble with my computer. Will be back up this evening.
    Today at 10:14:17 AM
  • Daddy: My dog ate my computer.
    Today at 12:29:26 PM
  • dbreer23: I wish I was that lucky
    Today at 01:07:02 PM
  • Daddy: Happy 30th birthday @Yeagg!
    Today at 01:49:17 PM
  • Daddy: I got pubic hair older than you
    Today at 01:53:00 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: I have (26) (30) 1st round picks to trade for higher pick let me know. 2 for 1. Frday special
    Today at 03:59:28 PM
  • Brent: Damn, wish I still had a 1st.
    Today at 04:02:05 PM
  • Daddy: I wish i had any picks. Would someone trade an old chap a few draft picks out of pity.
    Today at 04:15:22 PM
  • Daddy: Football draft picks are the only ones in any sport i care about drafting. Hockey is #2, basketball #3 & baseball #5
    Today at 04:18:05 PM
  • Daddy: Id rather draft amateur pickle ball players (#4)then baseball players.
    Today at 04:19:44 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i traded my picks for upgrades
    Today at 04:54:24 PM
  • Daddy: Risky business. Almost all NFL Drafted players see the field and some are instant stars (Puca Nacua) as you know. Its the only draft where the entire draft helps out.
    Today at 05:24:01 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: im aware
    Today at 06:24:20 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: but strongly feel like the trades i made were good
    Today at 06:24:37 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: and depth is key
    Today at 06:24:46 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: look at my team youll see
    Today at 06:24:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: acquiring minshew demarcus robinson and gus edwards
    Today at 06:26:21 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: cost me picks but those guys are already vets
    Today at 06:26:34 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: oh and diablo for defense
    Today at 06:28:36 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: along with gibbens i upgraded both ends
    Today at 06:30:26 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i made the SB last yr tryna keep that window still goin
    Today at 06:31:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for trade talks the rest of the night
    Today at 08:58:13 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Big trade
    Today at 10:47:02 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: The return, per source: Dillon Head, Woo Suk-Go, Jakob Marsee, Nathan Martorella to Marlins for Luis arraez
    Today at 10:47:26 PM
  • dbreer23: Arraez headed to the Padres for 4 prospects.
    Today at 10:47:55 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: dbreer look above
    Today at 10:50:15 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: just said return
    Today at 10:50:21 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: marlins won thsi trade
    Today at 10:52:12 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Dillon Head, Woo Suk-Go, Jakob Marsee, Nathan Martorella great haul
    Today at 10:52:22 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I like that football talk BAB
    Today at 11:21:46 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: You like your team in may and may add something in FA. You are def a force in the NFC
    Today at 11:22:11 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Only the late papps, daddy, TheGoat have ever won the NFC outside of yourself
    Today at 11:22:37 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Papps and daddy did it twice
    Today at 11:22:52 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Those two are also the only ever Superbowl Champions outside of the AFC
    Today at 11:23:21 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Or Superbowl Champions from the NFC i should say. Sorry been drinking lol
    Today at 11:23:44 PM