Author Topic: FA Discussion Thread  (Read 4181 times)

Offline hank

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: FA Discussion Thread
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 11:41:50 PM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
There are lies, there are outrageous lies, and there are statistics.
                                                                                --- Mark Twain

Offline hank

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »
 :iatp:
Instead of all at once I'd be open to opening infielders, then outfielders, then pitchers.  If we do it in three groups I think that would work well.  All at once can get crazy to keep track of bids.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
There are lies, there are outrageous lies, and there are statistics.
                                                                                --- Mark Twain

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
I like our free agency phases.  It allows you to compete on one position at a time.

Pujols is the biggest Pirates free agent signing in 20 years.  I have not made a move, or been able to make one like that, in FGM since the league started 5 years ago.  While $15m/year for 5 years is expensive, I felt Pujols had a bad year in Anaheim due to issues adjusting without his kids in town (they were finishing the school year back in STL).  With the kids moved, I bet he doesn't start off in a slump and returns to his form of old.  I don't think that form will last all five years, but I think I can get great contributions from him for 2-3 years.

I spoke to Big Al today over the phone and welcomed him to the franchise.  He thinks Mike Olt has talent and will mentor him.  He is excited to rejoin former teammate Pete Kozma and likes what he sees in Gyorko.  Albert knows its a young team with others such as Wieters and Revere.  I promised him we will seek to add a couple more veteran bats - likely outfielders - as the winter meetings continue.

The other big worry in Pittsburgh is pitching.  Once again, a lot of young talent, but we're unsure who will get the jobs in spring training.  A couple starters are expected to be signed in free agency, but nothing too flashy like this Pujols signing.  Then again, the Buccos still have almost $20m in cap room and have a bunch of trade leverage.

We also have the 6th pick in the draft in 2014 and a restocked farm with plenty of top picks from the past two years.  As a GM of this franchise, I haven't been able to see the team make the playoffs.  2012 was a big season but the Buccos fell just short of the post-season.  The build of the team from 2010-12 was based on veterans on manageable contracts.  The farm was sold and players like McCutchen and Walker were sold along with the specs.  2013 was a rebuilding year, and I will pick my spots in 2014 to do what I can, but I think this team has a good short-term future and a brilliant long-term future.  Hopefully some wins this season and the next will allow the cap to start to increase again, just in time for the team to be a perennial World Series contender on a short budget.

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER FGM :PIT:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Brewers GM

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 10:01:42 PM »
The inflated CI dollars is one reason we should give serious consideration to opening up free agency to all positions at the same time.

I would like to think in FGM, owners have a long-term plan in mind and something like the order of introducing FA's will certainly not sway market prices so heavily.  Maybe I'm naive, but if you look at the teams who have been most successful in the past it's clear that patience and long-term thinking is critical.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline nerwffej

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 6
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Illinois:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 12:01:42 AM »
I agree going into free agency should have a plan and back up. How players go on block shouldn't matter, you should have a amount you spend for guys you want if goes to high back up plan. Pitchers are talked about as being worth least amount in value no reason they shouldn't be last up help keep salaries down little anyway.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Brent

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NO:
    • :LouisianaState:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
The Angels sucked when I took them over and I am in the middle of a rebuild.  I'm going to bring talent in whatever way possible and if that is grabbing a CI or two then that is what I'll do.  These guys have value and value is what I need to build this team.  Unused cap space with no value on the team is useless and doesn't allow me to do anything with the team.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SEA: 2023 Field of Dreams - League Champion
:NOP: 2022-23 Buckets of Dimes - Eastern Conference Champion
:NO: 2021-2022 NFL Live -  30-4 (4-2) 2X NFC Runner-up/1X NFC South Champs
:NO: 2018-2020 NFL Countdown - 37-11 (3-2) 1X NFC Runner Up/2X NFC South Champs
8 ProFSL Hosted League Championships 2010-2019
Proud Member of the Who Dat Nation!

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »
I agree going into free agency should have a plan and back up. How players go on block shouldn't matter, you should have a amount you spend for guys you want if goes to high back up plan. Pitchers are talked about as being worth least amount in value no reason they shouldn't be last up help keep salaries down little anyway.

That's actually a valid point.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 04:40:45 PM »
:PIT: Rumors
- According to management, Pastornicky has leaped past Forsythe in the MI depth chart and will battle Kozma for the starting job.  Pujols likes Pastornicky, but favors his old teammate Kozma.
- Matt LaPorta is floundering in the Gulf of Mexico trying to swim ashore and make Spring Training next month.
- Outfielder Caleb Gindl shows promise and could very well be the third starting outfielder.  It's no secret that the Pirates will pursue at least two free agent outfielders.
- Wieters needs a backup and doesn't want a mentor.  Pujols agreed and the Bucs go after FA C Jose Molina.  Albert played with his brother Yadier for many years and knows what a Molina can do.
- Rumor is that Albert Pujols is also the assistant GM of the Pirates.
- SP James McDonald is seeking to return to the major leagues.  He only turns 30 and is a year removed from a brilliant 2012 campaign.  If push comes to shove, the front office may have to release him to get another roster spot and pick up cap space for a free agent to replace him.
- Ottavino is favored for the closer's job.  Pujols says he won't be needed in that role because he will crush the National League.
- Worley is currently the ace which is clearly a massive problem.

:PIT: Biggest remaining needs = OF, SP, backup C
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
I saw David Wright as the best available player in free agency and decided I would lay down a doomsday bid on him. As Trumbo loses his Ci eligibility in the desert, a CI spot was opened up for Wright. My squad still has a hole at Catcher and MI but did not view Martin and Reyes as players we wanted around. Wright, Alvarez, Trumbo, Ajax, and Yelich are a nice core for the next few years... Adding a few more pieces to this core might give me the opportunity to do what I never was able to as GM of the Reds, and that is finish higher than third. Morales and Cozart are decent players to have around, and I should have at least three decent starters. We shall see how things come around as depth is not a strong point.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline OUDAN

• Legend
    • :DAL:
    • :LAL:
    • :Oklahoma:
    • :NYY:
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »
E2 is a welcome addition to the lineup in the Bronx he wasn't a need but we also wanted to add another big bat and he is one of the tops available. Few more moves to come!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People don't know what it means to be champions, Oklahoma invented it."
-Barry "The King" Switzer

"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
-Coach Taylor

I hated every moment of training but I said, "Don't quit, Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion."
-Mohammed Ali

:win: 2014 FGM Champ
:win: 2015 Moneyball Champ
:win: 2015 Bush League Champ

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Im looking to compete in mlb live im looking to add pieces to my team. I can move any of my prospects no one is safe in my minors
    April 13, 2024, 11:01:13 PM
  • Daddy: Hit me up
    April 13, 2024, 11:07:04 PM
  • Daddy: Grandpa Brian
    April 13, 2024, 11:07:15 PM
  • indiansnation: No thanks daddy im looking to take your team out. I want to make my @@@ch
    April 13, 2024, 11:15:39 PM
  • indiansnation: Looking for one moe big bat and a couple of starting pitching
    April 13, 2024, 11:16:27 PM
  • indiansnation: Back at u bigfry
    April 13, 2024, 11:24:04 PM
  • Daddy: Im preparing for Hockey domination. :)
    April 14, 2024, 12:06:09 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry important pm read the latest pm i sent u
    April 14, 2024, 12:14:42 AM
  • indiansnation: Dad yea u going down in that league also nhl live u got no chance in any live leagues
    April 14, 2024, 12:15:32 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy im takening u out
    April 14, 2024, 12:15:47 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm trade offer sent
    April 14, 2024, 12:36:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry back at u
    April 14, 2024, 12:57:58 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry trade posted everything u mentioned to me
    April 14, 2024, 01:27:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Stlouis blues 91 pm back at u
    April 14, 2024, 01:34:40 AM
  • indiansnation: Debreer23 pm
    April 14, 2024, 01:37:22 AM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    April 14, 2024, 02:36:03 AM
  • Daddy: Geezus that MLB board is lit up. Lets clean that up a bit.
    April 14, 2024, 01:24:20 PM
  • Daddy: Great job Gary, thank you.
    April 14, 2024, 01:27:52 PM
  • janesvilleaces: Daddy pm
    April 14, 2024, 03:31:53 PM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    April 14, 2024, 04:13:22 PM
  • Alpha5: The nada
    April 14, 2024, 04:21:06 PM
  • Alpha5: De nothing
    April 14, 2024, 04:21:12 PM
  • Alpha5: It's nada
    April 14, 2024, 04:28:39 PM
  • dbreer23: Clear as mierda
    April 14, 2024, 04:39:57 PM
  • Daddy: Back @janes
    April 14, 2024, 05:00:16 PM
  • Rhino7: If you’re in CCD and plan to return next season, make sure to check-in asap before it’s too late! Notices have been made and soon some of you could get replaced. Only takes a moment to get it done. [link]
    April 14, 2024, 06:08:14 PM
  • STLBlues91: Just got home so replying to all messages now
    April 14, 2024, 08:37:13 PM
  • jimw: CCD championship ended one week ago and we are pressured to decide right away if we are coming back or we lose our team?
    April 14, 2024, 08:39:48 PM
  • Rhino7: It’s a dynasty league so we assume everyone plans to return. This is the time for those who definitely don’t plan to return to say so that way we know ahead of time we have to find replacements. Nobody is pressuring you, it’s more of a courtesy to the LM who do this for nothing so they can make a game plan for next season.
    April 14, 2024, 11:13:17 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS scoring update after 1 week with 4 days to go.  :ANA: Ducks 112.05 v 149.85 :NYR: Rangers [link] :taco:
    April 14, 2024, 11:51:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Indians mlb live looking to trade looking for a bat or 2 and starting pitching.
    Yesterday at 03:38:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    Yesterday at 05:43:06 PM
  • Daddy: Brian you are in 11 leagues? You are a true legend dude.
    Yesterday at 06:04:36 PM
  • Daddy: Sports Fan dynasty legend.
    Yesterday at 06:05:16 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I'm in 10
    Yesterday at 07:06:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: And active in all
    Yesterday at 07:06:41 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    Yesterday at 07:22:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 07:22:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day
    Yesterday at 07:27:08 PM
  • Daddy: Youre getting the full experience in that many leagues. There is always something to do.
    Yesterday at 07:33:19 PM
  • Daddy: Each league is different so makes you approach things differently.
    Yesterday at 07:33:43 PM
  • Jon: i have openings in SEC football 1st year league
    Yesterday at 07:54:15 PM
  • Jon: I am pretty sure that I am going to do away with the 64 team league as I can't justify paying the fee that Fantrax wants
    Yesterday at 07:54:44 PM
  • Jon: [link]
    Yesterday at 07:56:47 PM
  • Daddy: I pay about $500 in fantrax fees. I feel ya Jon.
    Yesterday at 08:09:00 PM
  • Daddy: Probably more if i added it all up. All that work + all that money = why very few do it. #Respect
    Yesterday at 08:11:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm
    Yesterday at 09:52:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w one last pm
    Today at 01:01:12 AM
  • indiansnation: Trade posted jim w
    Today at 01:02:15 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Two late night deals
    Today at 01:18:11 AM