Author Topic: RC Discussion - Special Case [Betterment of the league] (RC Members Only Please)  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
I don't profess to have the solution to this problem but I have to say that I disagree with Flash's assessment.I will agree that any choice that is made at this point will almost certainly be subjective but I find a lot of fault with his reasoning.
According to this logic we need not even play the game; tie a bow around it and give it to the Yankees. As far as I know they've got the highest payroll. At the very least $53.5M more than mine.They'd play the aforementioned Cubs at $142.5 in the World Payroll Series and undoubtedly win because of the $46.5M salary difference between them and the Cubs.
But we all know that neither the Yankees nor the Cubs made our playoffs this year.
So while success may equal money (to paraphrase Flash), money doesn't necessarily equal success. IMO success in this league equals an understanding of the rules and scoring system, a decent eye for talent and mix in some savvy in trade negotiations. A little dedication doesn't hurt either.  I'm just not sure how to quantify those qualities

I think you have mistaken the gist of my post.  As you point out, in order to be successful in this league, you have to have "an understanding of the rules and scoring system".  I am a testament to that.  That's why I alluded to my own shortcomings--it's taken me a while to figure things out and get away from the Yahoo mentality I came in with.  But I don't want to engage in anymore self-flagellation.  I agree with your other points regarding talent, dedication and savvy.

However, my point about success = money was only a reference to the fact that the salary caps we have are based on the past success of our teams.  Didn't I make the following point:  Is it realistic to say that the GMs of the richer teams are any better than those who have less resources?  You are actually reinforcing my perspective on this point.  The fact that the Yankees and Cubs, teams with large payrolls didn't make the playoffs is worth noting, but it doesn't address the issue at hand.

One of those teams is now vacant, and the other was the subject of the very dilemma we now face, and I certainly didn't want to get bogged down in a series of posts that sidestep what we are trying to accomplish.  In addition, we have another vacant team (Chicago White Sox) that needs a new GM.  I'm not complaining about the salary cap differences and I'm certainly not trying to say that money is a substitute for expertise.  The controversy surrounding the Dodgers change in ownership illustrates why it's necessary to come up with something that is viable and sustaining.  The Rules Committee cannot deal in vague generalities anymore when it comes to a transfer of ownership.  Since the team in question has a lot of resources and didn't make the playoffs, don't you think it would be a good idea for any GM who is requesting a transfer to outline how he is going to rectify that and why he is worthy of our support?  As a body, we voted to allow transfers on the basis that it was for "the good of the league" and now we need to get on with that task. 

I believe in this league.  It's unique and challenging, but more importantly, it's filled with a lot of good people.  I don't want anyone to think I'm tripping because I'm on the Rules Committee or that I think I'm so important. All of you know that I voted against transfers, but since we agreed to allow them, I think it's time to sit down and present something to the league that is acceptable.  In an effort to do just that, by the end of the weekend I will submit a draft of something I think might work.  As always, it can be tweaked or simply thrown away if the rest of the Committee can't get behind it.  However, it's time for us to get it done so we can get a GM for the Cubs (and White Sox.) 

Again, I'm not looking to antagonize anyone.  If I've struck a nerve or offended anyone, please accept my sincerest apologies.  If needed, send me a poison PM and tell me to jump in the lake. 

:toth: 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
I think you have mistaken the gist of my post.  As you point out, in order to be successful in this league, you have to have "an understanding of the rules and scoring system".  I am a testament to that.  That's why I alluded to my own shortcomings--it's taken me a while to figure things out and get away from the Yahoo mentality I came in with.  But I don't want to engage in anymore self-flagellation.  I agree with your other points regarding talent, dedication and savvy.

However, my point about success = money was only a reference to the fact that the salary caps we have are based on the past success of our teams.  Didn't I make the following point:  Is it realistic to say that the GMs of the richer teams are any better than those who have less resources?  You are actually reinforcing my perspective on this point.  The fact that the Yankees and Cubs, teams with large payrolls didn't make the playoffs is worth noting, but it doesn't address the issue at hand.

One of those teams is now vacant, and the other was the subject of the very dilemma we now face, and I certainly didn't want to get bogged down in a series of posts that sidestep what we are trying to accomplish.  In addition, we have another vacant team (Chicago White Sox) that needs a new GM.  I'm not complaining about the salary cap differences and I'm certainly not trying to say that money is a substitute for expertise.  The controversy surrounding the Dodgers change in ownership illustrates why it's necessary to come up with something that is viable and sustaining.  The Rules Committee cannot deal in vague generalities anymore when it comes to a transfer of ownership.  Since the team in question has a lot of resources and didn't make the playoffs, don't you think it would be a good idea for any GM who is requesting a transfer to outline how he is going to rectify that and why he is worthy of our support?  As a body, we voted to allow transfers on the basis that it was for "the good of the league" and now we need to get on with that task. 

I believe in this league.  It's unique and challenging, but more importantly, it's filled with a lot of good people.  I don't want anyone to think I'm tripping because I'm on the Rules Committee or that I think I'm so important. All of you know that I voted against transfers, but since we agreed to allow them, I think it's time to sit down and present something to the league that is acceptable.  In an effort to do just that, by the end of the weekend I will submit a draft of something I think might work.  As always, it can be tweaked or simply thrown away if the rest of the Committee can't get behind it.  However, it's time for us to get it done so we can get a GM for the Cubs (and White Sox.) 

Again, I'm not looking to antagonize anyone.  If I've struck a nerve or offended anyone, please accept my sincerest apologies.  If needed, send me a poison PM and tell me to jump in the lake. 

:toth:
There was no struck nerve here Ernesto. I just wanted to point out (or reemphasize if you like) that patience, prudence and dedication are the rules in a franchise league such as FGM. Especially for a small market team. How do you go about determining that a prospective GM has those qualities? Sounds like we're pretty much on the same page.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • View Profile
Seven (7) elements we can judge transfers on:

1) Quality of prospects - who has the best farm?

2) Performance against expectations - if a team had the 27th highest payroll and the finished 22nd that that is a +5, how did the other team do? Another unique way to measure this is look at percentage increase in future caps.

3) Tenure of service with their current team

4) Short term and long term strategy for the team they want

5) Number of posts - shows an element of activity

6) Any FGM awards? GM of the Year candidates should be shoe-ins.

7) Performance of franchise last season

Only #4 is subjective and voted by the RC whereas the rest are scored.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
Are we not getting off topic?  It seems as if we are discussing criterion by which to rate GMs requesting a franchise transfer, rather than voting on the criterion for the transfer.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:44:13 PM by rcankosy »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
I was under the impression that Internal Transfers are now allowed:
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=115022.10
Please correct me if I'm wrong
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
That's correct, but I am still in favor of making these transfers exceedingly rare to the tune of 1 every 3-4 years at most.  To that point, I am only in  favor of allowing them as a last resort to filling teams that are vacant for 3 months.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
Seven (7) elements we can judge transfers on:

1) Quality of prospects - who has the best farm?

2) Performance against expectations - if a team had the 27th highest payroll and the finished 22nd that that is a +5, how did the other team do? Another unique way to measure this is look at percentage increase in future caps.

3) Tenure of service with their current team

4) Short term and long term strategy for the team they want

5) Number of posts - shows an element of activity

6) Any FGM awards? GM of the Year candidates should be shoe-ins.

7) Performance of franchise last season

Only #4 is subjective and voted by the RC whereas the rest are scored.

I think this is a pretty good list of indicators, although I don't necessarily think #5 is a necessary element.  I would also like to have a GM requesting a transfer submit a short explanation why granting the transfer is in the best interest of the league.  Obviously this becomes more subjective than the points Colby listed, but if someone believes such a transfer is important, they should be able to provide some coherent rationale.

As for Roy's concerns, I don't think we should allow a team to lie dormant for a long period of time.  Nor do I think we should rush ourselves and simply accept a warm body to fill a vacancy.  If it's important for a GM to be a part of this league, like it is for all of us, it should require some work to be accepted as a member. 

With this, I think new GMs should also present an application that includes an analysis that includes an evaluation of the team's roster in terms of strengths and weaknesses (#2, #4 & #7), it's EDRs (#1), and their experience with fantasy baseball contract leagues (#3 & #5).  They should also provide an explanation why they would like to be accepted into the league. 

Maybe some GMs think this will be too much work, and if that's the case, it's a good indication that their transfer or acceptance isn't really warranted.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline papps

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 9
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :PHI:
    • View Profile
I think this is a pretty good list of indicators, although I don't necessarily think #5 is a necessary element.  I would also like to have a GM requesting a transfer submit a short explanation why granting the transfer is in the best interest of the league.  Obviously this becomes more subjective than the points Colby listed, but if someone believes such a transfer is important, they should be able to provide some coherent rationale.

As for Roy's concerns, I don't think we should allow a team to lie dormant for a long period of time.  Nor do I think we should rush ourselves and simply accept a warm body to fill a vacancy.  If it's important for a GM to be a part of this league, like it is for all of us, it should require some work to be accepted as a member. 

With this, I think new GMs should also present an application that includes an analysis that includes an evaluation of the team's roster in terms of strengths and weaknesses (#2, #4 & #7), it's EDRs (#1), and their experience with fantasy baseball contract leagues (#3 & #5).  They should also provide an explanation why they would like to be accepted into the league. 

Maybe some GMs think this will be too much work, and if that's the case, it's a good indication that their transfer or acceptance isn't really warranted.

I agree with this entire post.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 - 2021 NFL Live Champion :TB-NFL:
🏆 - 2020 Bush League Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 Franchise GM Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 The League Champion :PIT-NFL:
🏆 - 2016 Moneyball II Champion :BOS:
🏆 - 2010 Agents vs GMs Champion :PHI:

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
Very well said Flash!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Offline shooter47

• MVP
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :MIN-NHL:
    • :NorthDakotaState:
    • View Profile
This discussion has lead to some good points about how to judge potential GM's who request a transfer but is starting to get off topic. We need to determine what situation must occur that would make it possible for a GM to transfer. So far the RC has only passed the case of "for the betterment of the league." This is pretty vague and we need to define what this situation actually is. The RC did not vote to allow internal transfers in all cases.

When I joined the league FGM used a process where GM's applied for an open position and then a vote was held to determine which GM got the position. This worked well however this process can be subjective and can lead to hurt feelings.

I would like to get this issue resolved quickly so we can fill the open positions of the Chicago White Sox and Cubs and get on with the offseason.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Rhino7: They do have slap fighting you could try
    April 20, 2024, 12:51:07 PM
  • Daddy: Damn they got slap fighting???
    April 20, 2024, 01:14:10 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Oh yeah they do. It's brutal.
    April 20, 2024, 04:02:39 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Usually on PPV. If you get into that try English phone booth fighting!!!
    April 20, 2024, 04:03:47 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Yup, UFC owned if im not mistaken. They handing out CTE for breakfast over there
    April 20, 2024, 07:18:25 PM
  • Daddy: Will Smith would be Drago in that sport.
    April 20, 2024, 07:58:15 PM
  • Daddy: I would be Clubber Lang
    April 20, 2024, 08:00:04 PM
  • Daddy: @Jwalkerjr88 i bet you are itching to trade or build something right now. Too bad you hate baseball. MLB LIVE be jumping when NFL LIVE rests (not that it rests much but still) :) .
    April 21, 2024, 02:00:29 AM
  • Jon: daddy, your the only game in town now for CFB on the board.  I removed Fansville as i decided i am not giving any more money to Fantrax for premium settings.  My leagues are free
    April 21, 2024, 11:32:55 AM
  • Braves155: MLB LIVE :NYY: has OF for trade looking for INF/pitching
    April 21, 2024, 01:51:13 PM
  • Daddy: Its always better for the site to have at least 2 leagues for each sport. However @Jon i understand the decision.
    April 21, 2024, 01:53:02 PM
  • Daddy: Fantrax fees do get expensive. Its like $110-$120 per league per year and when its all out of your own pocket and you do most of the work, its hard to find value in that.
    April 21, 2024, 01:55:06 PM
  • Daddy: Its like i been gone for a month all these PMs. Lordy! I hope its some trade talk in there.
    April 22, 2024, 11:04:36 AM
  • Daddy: Nope, nobody wants my junk players. It was all admin.
    April 22, 2024, 11:48:14 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahaha
    April 22, 2024, 04:10:00 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: 0 messages here.
    April 22, 2024, 08:27:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Mlb live indians looking to move p woo suk go
    April 23, 2024, 05:51:59 PM
  • Daddy: What is it the Indians are offering exactly, sounds like a private matter.
    April 23, 2024, 07:28:24 PM
  • Daddy: @BAB see MLB LIVE current bidding. (Pagan) :toth:
    Yesterday at 12:29:18 AM
  • Daddy: NFL DRAFT TONIGHT ROUND ONE IN PRIME TIME.
    Yesterday at 12:07:54 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: your a day early Daddy
    Yesterday at 12:51:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: ist tomorrow
    Yesterday at 12:52:07 PM
  • Daddy: :doh: FML
    Yesterday at 01:05:48 PM
  • indiansnation: Good evening all
    Yesterday at 04:45:28 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Trey hendrickson and tee higgins both request trades day before the draft. Tomorrow will bring fireworks
    Yesterday at 07:50:56 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Thurs kickoff starts at 1pm nfl network
    Yesterday at 08:32:25 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yepp
    Yesterday at 08:40:50 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: This mock draft on espn is interesting tonight.
    Yesterday at 09:37:27 PM
  • Alpha5: Why does Hendrickson want out?
    Yesterday at 11:20:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Money alpha
    Yesterday at 11:37:29 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: He and like Higgins wants to get paid and have a better secure contract
    Yesterday at 11:37:49 PM
  • Braves155: I'm sure the Falcons will botch another Draft.
    Today at 08:07:49 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Agreed
    Today at 09:59:57 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: ITS DRAFT DAYYYY
    Today at 12:00:23 PM
  • Rob: Welcome to New England, Drake Maye
    Today at 01:45:48 PM
  • Rob: Hopefully you're not what I think you are
    Today at 01:46:33 PM
  • Rob: Which is, Zach Wilson.
    Today at 01:46:38 PM
  • janesvilleaces: Daddy pm
    Today at 01:54:14 PM
  • Renegade: So what’s happening
    Today at 03:54:16 PM
  • Renegade: My 1st time playing college football fantasy
    Today at 03:56:40 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: @Rob ive seen that take a few times. “Drake Maye=Zach Wilson”. Thats not how i see it. The Physical tools and demeanor alone are very different between the two. I like maye alot
    Today at 03:58:58 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Are you a patriots fan @rob ?
    Today at 03:59:21 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Jwalkejr88 pm
    Today at 04:01:47 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: jwalkerjr88 replied back
    Today at 04:18:37 PM
  • indiansnation: Good evening all which league we talking trade.
    Today at 04:47:08 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: im nfl
    Today at 04:47:43 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Understood BAB
    Today at 05:00:25 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Always NFL Brian
    Today at 05:00:36 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yepp
    Today at 05:06:57 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Can't wait to see the madness
    Today at 05:10:27 PM